By carly castillo
SOS : Save Our Scalp
There is a lot to talk about when it comes to the scalp, but let's start with something I get asked about the most, dandruff. There are so many products out there that can exacerbate the problem but the root cause of it is where the healing really lies.
It’s really important to take a look at what is going on internally with any skin/scalp issues. There is typically something brewing for quite some time internally before it becomes too much for the insides and then the skin (being our largest organ) is next in line to show symptoms.
We identify dandruff or a flaky scalp as being the one and only issue with us, if only we could just get rid of that flaky scalp, but that’s not the issue. There’s usually multiple layers to the story.
It’s very important to take a look at your gut health, diet changes, hormonal changes including postpartum and stress. No, none of these are easy adjustments to where voila your scalp is magically healed over night. That’s definitely not the case, which is why a flaky scalp can be really stubborn in completely healing.
What took time to come to the surface will take time to recover and heal. However, you know your body best and most likely there’s probably a suspicion as to what area it may be. If you can pinpoint what may be the cause and make small adjustments, that’s all your body is asking you to do and it will respond.
Sure there are topicals we can use. We don’t want to suppress the system which is what over the counter meds/shampoos will do. Instead let’s nourish, hydrate and not deprive the scalp of what it’s looking for. In this case, it’s oils, lots of hydration and washing your hair more often! It sounds counterintuitive to wash more versus less when your scalp is dry, however your scalp is looking for more TLC so let’s give it that.
Here are some simple steps to help calm your scalp:
1. Wash your hair more frequently, add in one more shower than your usual routine.
2. Once a week, before your shower, an ACV rinse - more info here.
3. Double shampoo always. Warrior Shampoo or Luna Clear Shampoo are great, scalp loving shampoos thanks to their amazing herbs.
4. Once a week, with any under luna conditioner, apply it as a hair mask. If you can do an overnight hair mask that is even better. Luna Clear Conditioner and Revive Conditioner are my favorites for this.
5. Ancient Remedy Hair and Scalp Oil is also a great scalp treatment that you can do for 10-15 minutes before your shower or as an overnight treatment.